Cubs for Breakfast

Cumann Daorchluiche Cubs na Chicago

Friday, March 18, 2005

The World Turned Upside Down

Hey, I liked the picture of Greg Maddux in the green hat, posted on Bleed Cubbie Blue yesterday. I hope everyone had a good St. Patrick’s Day, if they were so inclined to observe or celebrate it.

What did I do on the day, seeing as I am posting from Ireland where March 17th is a national holiday. Why, I played baseball of course.

Here in my town we have one of the few baseball clubs in the country, I have been involved in the youth program for four years, and also sometimes hang out with our adult team (who are all quite a bit younger than me). So after our local parade, which enjoyed sunny, 65-degree weather, the senior team congregated at the rugby club, threw up the homemade backstop, and had their first intra-squad game of spring training (the amateur Irish Baseball League season begins in three weeks).

Your correspondent, although more than twice the age of some of the real players (mostly aged 16 to 25), didn’t acquit himself too badly. I made four plays at second base, one in left field, and blew a couple both at the keystone and in right. I had three at bats and only saw four pitches (I guess I’m like Corey that way, or maybe Nomar!), but never reached base on my infield outs.

So, while many of my fellow Irish residents were walking around with a sore head today on March 18, I’ve been limping around with sore legs, back and arms. The world has truly turned upside down.

(Back to Cubs content in next post)