Cubs for Breakfast

Cumann Daorchluiche Cubs na Chicago

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Dubois Deserves a Shot

Right now, I have my eyes closed and my hands over my ears, and I am muttering repeatedly “I can’t hear you!” “I can’t hear you!”

If you want to know what I think of the Wood and Prior situations, please see above.

Regarding the rest of the roster, I am sorry to hear that Dave Hansen has been rushed to hospital for an emergency appendectomy, and that he will be out for three weeks. I was looking forward to Hansen possibly performing the role that Todd Hollandsworth did so well during the first half of last year: crafty veteran lefty hitter off the bench. Now, he clearly will not be ready for Opening Day and his future with Cubs is decidedly murky.

Speaking of Hollandsworth, I wonder if he is feeling the pressure coming from below from both Jerry Hairston Jr. and Jason Dubois. Hairston demonstrated his value in the outfield on Saturday, making assists on two plays from center field. Dubois, meanwhile, is leading the Cubs in Spring home runs and is hitting .389, behind only Aramis Ramirez, Nomar Garciaparra, and Henry Blanco among 25-man roster players. I watched him last night muscle the ball to left on that RBI single and thought: that guy is a major leaguer. Dusty Baker will not start him in front of Hollandsworth, but I hope he and Jim Hendry will reward the MVP from Game 162 last year with more than a bench role on the big club. He deserves it.

From around the country:
Cubs fans stretching HoHoKam for record (Arizona Republic)
Nats reliever Beltran to have elbow surgery (Baltimore Sun)