Cubs for Breakfast

Cumann Daorchluiche Cubs na Chicago

Monday, February 28, 2005

The Monday After

It's the Monday after the Virtual Waiting Room Weekend.

Want to hear my ticket story? I’m sure you don’t, but too bad. I was after tickets for June 10th, the first game of the Red Sox series. As you probably know, that was the first series to sell out, and no, I did not get lucky. This left me with a dilemma when I finally got the chance to order tickets after four mind-numbing hours watching the PC screen.

Like many, I like baseball the way it was played when I first became a fan. I don’t actually like inter-league play, because of the unbalanced schedule, but I am only going to be in Chicago for about a week this year and it corresponds with the inter-league part of the schedule. On the other hand, I could probably stretch my trip by a day or two and go see the Marlins on the 13th. Trouble is, that’s a night game, and I like night baseball even less than inter-league play. So although the Marlins game would have been somewhat more meaningful, given the two teams’ history together and the fact that Florida should be an NL contender in ’05, I decided to go see the Blue Jays on the 8th in the sunshine with my Dad. We’ll sit in the same section (upper deck box) we sat in for the Cubs 16-15 victory over the Reds, when Bill Buckner and George Mitterwald both hit a pair of homers and both Reuschel brothers pitched, with Rick coming in to win the game in the 13th inning. We also had luck in that section last year, in another walk-off victory in extra innings.

In the Tribune today, we learn that Carlos Zambrano will start the Cubs’ spring opener against the Athletics on Thursday. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild also confirms that Ryan Dempster could be fifth-starter material. Could this mean that Joe Borowski truly is looking like his old self?

Meanwhile, in the Sun-Times, the Cubs have apparently denied that they are talking to Detroit and Oakland about their surplus closers, Ugueth Urbina and Octavio Dotel.