Cubs for Breakfast

Cumann Daorchluiche Cubs na Chicago

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Here in Ireland, it is tough to get into the spirit of the Hot Stove league--away from the computer anyway. I was reminded of how far removed I am from the world of baseball the other day at my in-laws, when my wife’s niece was taken to task by my brother-in-law for the designer gear she was wearing – that being the pink ladies-style Yankees hat on her 18 year old head. He saw it as a designer label, she called it a “New York hat”.

Yankees merchandise is widespread here despite the complete and utter lack of interest in baseball in the general population. It is down to the Bronx Bombers’ marketing partnership with Manchester United, their soccer equivalent in Europe, and its former megastar player David Beckham being photographed wearing a "New York hat" a few years ago.

I think I saw some pink Cubs hats on sale at Wrigley Field when I was there this year, but somehow I can’t see them taking off the same way – thank god for that.

--

Tribune (Reg. Req.)
Yanks fume as big deal falls apart (van Dyck)

Sun-Times
Nets not good enough at Wrigley, city says (Spelman)

From around the country
Tampa Bay could offer a reunion of sorts for the Cubs erstwhile double-play combo from their division championship season of 2003. The Devil Rays, already mentioned as a Mark Grudzielanek suitor, are apparently considering asking Alex Gonzalez to play third base for them in 2005. If it was good enough for A-Rod, why not A-Gon?